Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Fun Developments for Loveswell

Have to blog about a great recent development for my one person show, Loveswell. In developing the material I tried out using surfing and the ocean as a backdrop, for metaphors, for my relationship. Loveswell is about relationship, but uses surfing and the ocean in a way that anyone can relate. And people really loved it, thus I had confidence in using it in the show.



This run starting May 1st at the Hudson Theatre here in LA, Loveswell will have the privilege of having famed surf artist, Meegan Feori, along for the ride. I had the instinct when I first saw her work on a site online. One of the first paintings I saw was Night Flyin Femlin and I was immediately taken.


All of Meegan's paintings share the ocean and surfing in a way that anyone can enjoy. It's not in the flashy maneuvers that surfing can easily take on, only appealing to surfers, but it's in her representations of the ocean as a playful place, of a connection place, of a meaningful place where we, as man or woman, share time bathing in the beauty of one of our most important natural worlds, the ocean.

As she says, “I am a bella niƱa bruja ocean-loving dreamer compelled to create what my heart and mind envision. While my work represents surfing, it is not exclusive to surfing. It transcends the act of surfing becoming a visual representation of human emotion and experience.”

After talking and meeting with Meegan recently at The Hudson Theatre on Santa Monica Blvd, in LA, she happily agreed to have a showing of her work coinciding with our Loveswell run. Then I had the idea to ask her to paint the set and use her own colors and interpretive talent to create the world where Loveswell will take place. And Meegan said yes.

So Loveswell is proud to bring Meegan aboard for what will be a wonderful and fun run of Loveswell, my one person show about a man fighting for his relationship through the ups and downs of marriage as seen through the eyes of a surfer.

Hope you can make it down to see both of these fabulous works. www.loveswell.com

No comments: